HIGH SCHOOL BASKETBALL CODE OF ETHICS
Officials at an interscholastic athletic event are participants in the educational development of high school students. As such, they must exercise a high level of self-discipline, independence and responsibility. The purpose of this Code is to establish guildlines for ethical standards of conduct for all interscholastic officials.
- Officials shall master both the rules of the game and the mechanics necessary to enforce the rules, and shall exercise authority in an impartial, firm and controlled manner.
- Officials shall work with each other and their state associations in a constructive and cooperative manner.
- Officials shall uphold the honor and dignity of the profession in all interaction wiht student-athletes, coacches, athletic directors, school administrators, colleagues, and the public.
- Officials shall prepare themselves both physically and mentally, shall dress neatlxky and appropriately, and shall comport themselves in a manner consistent with high standards of the profession.
- Officials shall be punctual and professional in the fulfillment of all cotractual obligations.
- Officials shall remain mindful that their conduct influences the respect that the student-athletes, coaches, and the public hold to the procession.
- Officials shall, while enforcing the rules of play, remain aware of the inherent risk of injury that competition poses to the student-athletes. Where appropriate, they shall inform event management of conditions or situations that appear unreasonably hazardous.
- Officials shall take reasonable steps to educate themselves in the recognition of emergency conditions that might arise during the course of competition.
- Officials shall maintain an ethical approach while participating in forums, chat rooms and all forms of social media.
- Officials shall decline assignments that would give a perception of impartial bias by having any past, present, or future contact with a school, coach, or players.
- Officials must report all association with any school to their unit so that conflicts of interests are not violated at any time